NIH Consensus Development Conference
for Sickle Cell Disease
February 25-27, 2008
Final Statement | PDF
Program & Abstracts | PDF
Archived Videocast Day 1 | 2 | 3
Planning Committee | Panel
Documents in PDF format require the Adobe Acrobat Reader®.
If you experience problems with PDF documents, please download
the latest version of the Reader®.
The Consensus Development panel assessed the evidence on the following conference questions:
- What is the efficacy (results from clinical studies) of hydroxyurea treatment for patients who have sickle cell disease in three groups: infants, preadolescents, and adolescents/adults?
- What is the effectiveness (in everyday practice) of hydroxyurea treatment for patients who have sickle cell disease?
- What are the short- and long-term harms of hydroxyurea treatment?
- What are the barriers to hydroxyurea treatment for patients who have sickle cell disease, and what are the potential solutions?
- What are the future research needs?
|Learn more about the NIH Consensus Development Program|
|Join the Consensus Development Program Information Network|
|Contact us with any questions or comments|
Kelli Marciel, Communications Director
MarcielK@od.nih.gov | 301-496-4819